My first ever miniature unit. But before I get into that, I just wanted to show this picture below to give anyone not familiar with miniatures a sense of scale of these things:
Yup, that is a quarter. Thanks to my lovely fiancee for being my hand model by the way.
I know I was supposed to wait for the Slow Grow league to begin but I wanted to have at least one unit attempted before then (partly because I couldn’t wait to give it a try). Plus practice makes perfect right? And I am aiming to get a really nice looking force, not some standard 3 color playable mass.
Well, on to the first unit, a Khador Widowmaker.
As you can see I got off to a bit of a rough start. The model had a very grainy texture, almost like sandpaper. It caused some of the paint to start to chip off. I did some posting on the forums and digging on the internet and found that this was more than likely due to the primer coat and humidity not getting along. So I followed Plarzoid’s post on stripping paint (always a helpful blog and ace looking models too) and started over.
He turned out alright. Not bad for a first try I think. The face was terrible I admit and at this close I admit it doesn’t look the cleanest.
They other side is a different story. I am actually pretty proud of how it turned out. I haven’t based him yet although I have an idea on how I am going to do the basing on on four of the Widowmakers already. I am just waiting on some snow flock to come in (again at the end of September ) so I can avoid that baking soda oxidation possible risk thing if at all possible.
Here’s another picture which I think looks cool.
The Slow Grow league starts this Saturday so I’ll have lots to report then. Also I will be able to get started on my warcaster, Kommander Strakhov and the rest of these Widowmakers.
Until then and as always, questions, comments, or critiques are always welcomed.